The devotion of the Seven Sorrows is a Marian devotion that commemorates the 7 sorrows that she endured in relation to her Son. She was given the title Our Lady of Sorrows and Sorrowful Mother as a recognition of the immense pain and suffering she experienced.
Her Seven Sorrows:
- The prophecy of Simeon
- The flight into Egypt
- The child Jesus is lost in the temple
- Mary meets Jesus carrying the cross
- Mary at the foot of the Cross
- Mary receives the body of Jesus
- Jesus is placed in the Tomb
This devotion dates back to as early as the 4th century when it was preached and meditated on by Saints Ephrem and Ambroe. After 10 years of cultivating this devotion, Our Lady appeared to St. Bridget of Sweden and revealed her seven promises to those who meditate on her sorrows
- I will grant peace to their families.
- They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries.
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of My divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death — they will see the face of their Mother.
- I have obtained this grace from My divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to My tears and sorrows will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and My Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.
In 1668 Pope Pius X fixed the permanent feast day of this devotion to September 15th Intentionally placed the day after the Feast of the Holy Cross to recognize Mary’s closeness to her Son at the foot of the cross at his death.
Our Lady of Sorrows , Pray for us!
You can find our Seven Sorrows Rosary Here!